Stay Updated

Saturday 30 January 2016

If it's good enough for Kylie Jenner...

Then, maybe by a little stretch of my imagination, it's good enough for me! As much as I used to love spray tans, I do find that they are so much more hard work than good old fake tan in a can.
I had a few sprays and I do love them, although they always seem to go a LOT darker than I anticipate - the oompa loompa look is not quite my goal, but it usually ends up as my reality!

I moved on to St Moriz tan, which I did really, really like. It was like the poor girl's St Tropez, and I loved the colour and how it applied on my skin, but I found that the tan would go green really soon after it had been opened. It would last maybe a couple of weeks and then go green and frothy round the pump - not ideal. The colour was gorgeous, and although it did smell, it wasn't as bad as a lot of the tans I've tried.

Since those days, I have tried and stuck with Lauren's Way - until recently (but we will get to what I love now). Lauren's Way was new and exciting, and I loved the packaging. Pink, as you can probably tell from my blog, is me all over. I just thought it was so girly and feminine, and really, really cute. When I first tried LW tan, it was such an amazing formula, and really cheap. I loved the colour, I found it odourless, and I loved the way it lasted on my skin. If it did go a bit patchy, I'd simply exfoliate over the area, and the patch would be gone. With a bit of moisturiser, I'd be ready to go again. Perfect. But when I ran out, I waited quite a while before I ordered more. And when I did, I was sadly really disappointed. The price had gone up, which is understandable because the product was more in demand, and for some reason, the whole formula seemed completely different. I went to bed stinking of biscuits, I found the colour was a lot deeper - so deep I thought I'd ordered the wrong colour! But I hadn't, just the same as before. I felt the product was just so different and not in the best way. Maybe I got one from a bad batch, I'm not sure, but I've not gone back to Lauren's Way since. Maybe one day I'll give it another go, because I can't just dismiss how much I did love it when it first became a 'big deal'. Even my Nan got involved in LW tanning products, but only for her legs, haha!

So, after not fake tanning for what felt like EVER!!!! I finally got a new tan. Well, Alex got it for me, as a gift. It was the Cocoa Brown 1 Hour Tanning Mousse. I've used it twice, and I've got to admit, I really, really liked it. I read a few reviews before I tried it, and they were mixed - I was happy about the ones that said it wasn't that dark on olive skin or darker (I'm pale so I wanted a little glow, not a full on two week deep sun tan over night!), but not so thrilled by the ones that said they either went patchy, or didn't develop any colour at all.
So, the tan offers a colour in 1 hour - is it possible? I'm not sure, but you can leave it on for up to 3 hours to be certain. I went for 2, as I didn't want to risk it! I applied the product with a mitt, and it is tinted so you can see where you have applied the product and where you haven't - this was my first question to those who said they went streaky. Surely, this must be an outcome of your application, as you can quite clearly see what's brown and what's white? Maybe it's more difficult for some than others, I don't know. I can understand if it's in tricky patches like your shoulders, under your arms or on your hands or something, but I think arms, legs and torso are quite simple? Either way, I didn't get streaks.

After 2 hours, I jumped in the shower to wash off the product. When I saw the colour of the water, I could have cried - I felt like my whole two hour effort of laying/walking/living like the Michelin Man was
wasted! It was all washing off! I couldn't believe it! I admit, there was a little glow on my legs, and I felt like I could tell I had tanned but it was more like a gradual tanner? So I went to bed feeling a bit half and half - it was my legs I wanted colour on the most, to be fair.

When I woke up the next morning, it was a completely different story. The colour had developed overnight, in to the most golden, glowing, beautiful tan I've ever had. Probably better than my natural tan from Egypt - at least this doesn't peel off! I couldn't believe it! I was over the moon. I tanned on Tuesday night, and while I write this on Friday night/early hours of Saturday morning, I'm STILL glowing with no patches, no streaks, no fade - and no biscuit smell!! Before washing off the product, I did smell like a packet of Digestives, but as soon as I washed it off, the smell went. If you're conscious of smelling still, nothing stops you from using a scented body wash when you remove the tan after a few hours.

It DOES feel like quite an unnatural way to tan, as I would always apply my tan on a Thursday evening, leave it overnight and wash it off the next morning. None of this few hours malarky. But it's almost better this way, I think? You can tan all on the same day. I shaved, exfoliated and heavily moisturised the day before, of course. The only downside is that it's not the best if you're trying to get ready and don't have too much time, so just want to slap a bit of colour on your legs before you put on your LBD. Sorry to disappoint, but this product definitely looks better the day after you apply it. So I guess the easy solution is: apply the product one day before you want the tan, and leave it for 2-3 hours for best results. Easy. It dries quickly, and it doesn't feel sticky - bonus.

As I said, if it's good enough for Kylie Jenner, then anybody can try this - her tan always looks incredible, although I guess she does live in Calabasas, and she probably tops up her tan 3/4 times a week - not that she really needs it!

Have any of you tried this tan? Let me know your thoughts!

If you haven't tried this tan but would like to give it a go, it's available to buy online from Amazon, Feel Unique and the Cocoa Brown website, but also Tesco, Superdrug, and Primark for £7.99 - bargain!

With love, Georgie x

No comments:

Post a Comment