Stay Updated

Saturday 17 October 2015

Autumn.


Ahhhh, I just bloody love autumn! If I'm honest, I'm not a summer person. Not in the slightest. Although I love holidays, they can be taken all year round. The leg shaving, the constant need for perfect toenails, the hair making you hot, the moans and groans of 'Oh I knew this weather was too good to be true!' when it absolutely chucks it down after 5 or 6 days of belting sunshine, the bees, the flies on your BBQ food - argh, I just hate so much about summer! That's not to say it doesn't have it's good points, like the outdoor parties, the weddings, the potential of catching a tan - if you're lucky! But for me, autumn and winter are definitely where it's at.


I love the fact that the sun isn't beaming in through my bedroom window, the temperature is low so you can wear your long pyjamas, fluffy socks, dressing gowns, cosy blankets on the sofa or in bed with a hot chocolate, some nice smelling candles (Christmas Memories by Yankee - it smells of cinnamon and ginger), a good DVD and a snuggle with your boyfriend. I am a firm believer in Sunday being a day of rest. Alex works every other Sunday, so I treasure the lazy mornings when he's off. Especially now it's cold in the mornings, you can get super snuggled together, have a good spoon and catch up on any Saturday night TV that you might have missed.

I always seem to think that I need to buy new clothes for the autumn to prepare me for the colder months, but really, I've got all the essentials that I need. Recently I've stocked up on some lovely coats - my favourites being the Kardashian Kollection Camel Coat, and a grey waterfall jacket from Dorothy Perkins. It's so warm and snuggly, you feel like you're wearing a blanket! I've also got a slight obsession with ankle boots - I just can't stop buying them! Flat ones, heeled ones, buckles, zips,  black, brown, leather, suede, anything. I also invested in a pair of over the knee boots this autumn, and I can't believe I didn't do it earlier - what a dream! I got a pair of 'Abigail Over Knee Boots' from Boohoo for only £40. If you don't have a pair, you should definitely invest. I love how my style can change for A/W too. I love big cosy jumpers, dark lips and nails. Sometimes there's only so many shades of orange and pink that you can pick for summer. Last year I also bought a couple of scarves, and a few hats, too. I'd never really been one for hats, but thought I'd take the plunge. I do need some new winter gloves though, I'm just yet to find the right pair. I'd quite like a nice pair of black or grey leather gloves.. Hmmmm.

I love the transition from summer to autumn - summer just doesn't warrant girls nights in and getting fatter the way autumn/winter do! For the last 15 years of my life, September has been a time for a new academic year, which obviously is overshadowed by WHSmith and Paperchase deliveries. But this September, I braced myself for my last ever introduction to an academic year - the biggest, worst one there is. The final year at University. I can't believe it's come around so fast, but let's not even get in to that. We can save that for another day!

My last September in the academic world was made so much better by my niece starting her secondary school journey (I feel old), and my youngest nephew starting reception (I feel even older). Faith is now 11 and a 'big girl'. She is on Instagram and has more followers than me, sends Snapchats 50 million times a day, and has decided she wants a Michael Kors bag for school. My oldest nephew, Oliver, is in Year 2 now, and really smart for his age. He loves to read, and he's really good at it too - ideal. My baby Charlie is now 5, and is more interested in making friends and playing in the park after school than he is with school itself. He reckons he 'doesn't have to do homework because he goes to school for that!' Ahhhh. If only he knew what is coming his way in the next few years. Bless him.

My pumpkin goal.
October always makes me feel good because it's when you know the countdown to Christmas is well and truly on - which means it's coming up to my birthday, too. 21 this year - woo! I love seeing all the Halloween stuff in shops - I guess having young nephews makes Halloween so much more fun. I'm not about the dressing up life anymore, and I can't be dealing with painting whiskers on my face and pretending to be a cat. I'd much rather paint the boys' faces as skeletons, or draw spiders and cobwebs, use purple face paint or put drips of blood on them. Seeing their faces when they get home and empty out their sweet pots - can't beat it. Charlie is now old enough to have a mind of his own, but he used to match his brother when he was younger. Last year I carved my first pumpkin. It was the definition of C R A P. But, at least I tried! This year, Alex has challenged me to make a Manchester United pumpkin. This means I have to carve out the words, the logo, everything. I'm not one to turn down a challenge, so I'm gonna give it a go. Wish me luck!

But that's me?!
November to me basically means Christmas, and if it was up to me, I'd have my Christmas tree up on November 1st. I'm always on the hunt for new decorations, baubles, cards, wrapping paper, everything. I've actually already bought my wrapping paper for this year. I'm going for a pink, silver and white theme. Best buy some new baubles to go with my paper. I like my tree to all match, including the wrapping and/or gift bags under the tree. I hate that panic when people say they only have one more payday until Christmas. As much as I love getting my family big presents, most of the time it's the smaller, more personal presents that mean more to them. This year I'm not stressing too much about it. I have an idea of what I want to get everybody, and I hope that they are all happy with their gifts.

I know it isn't technically autumn BUT... December is the big one, and I will be playing Christmas songs in my car, watching Elf on repeat, and.... Getting ready for a crammed couple of days full of exams and deadlines. Yay for me. But once they are all over, Alex is taking me somewhere for a few days to celebrate my birthday. Where, I don't know. All he said is that I can shop - it's like music to my ears. This will be the third Christmas we will be spending together, and we seem to have already fallen into the trap of cliche/expected presents. It's fun though, because I think it means we know each other well enough to know what the other one either loves to receive, or actually needs - Alex seems to 'misplace' socks. They are always on my list for him. I love ticking things off my list when I buy them for Alex - sounds so silly, but there's something so satisfying about it haha.

Soon I'll share with you my dream Christmas gift list. That's the one where everything is designer, expensive, and not actually reasonable. But, you can always hope - and play the Lottery!

What are your favourite things about autumn/winter?

With love, Georgie x

No comments:

Post a Comment